July 6, 2016

Planboard for Ontario Teachers

As I've been preparing for the coming school year, I began thinking about using a digital "daybook" to keep my lesson plans in order and easily accessible through the internet.  After a few inquiries among colleagues and friends, I was directed to Planboard, a FREE online daybook resource, courtesy of the Ontario Teachers Federation.  (Teachers from other parts of Canada will want to check with their school district or teachers' associations/unions to see if they have access to this site; I know that curriculums from some other provinces were among Planbook's options.)

WOW!  I don't think I've ever been so excited about a new education-related resource in my life!






With this online daybook, I can:


  1. Assign each subject a different colour.


  • Create a weekly schedule.






  • Input full lesson plans.

  • Attach files (ie. a Smart Notebook or Powerpoint file) within the lesson plan.

  • Embed videos directly into the lesson plan, so that I don't need to click a hyperlink to get where I want.

The video will play right within your day plan!  Or you could just insert a link and watch from there.

  • Move any lesson plan to a new spot, on those occasions when a surprise assembly or other unforeseen event prevents me from teaching it!
  • Attach Ontario curriculum expectations to the lesson plan.

  • Share my day plan with a supply teacher, colleague, or administrator.
  • Access lesson plans from other educators.  (I haven't tried this yet!)
Here's what the mornings look like for the first week in September:  


I was worried that it would be too confusing or complex for me to use, but it was very easy to set up.  First I assigned colours to subjects, then scheduled the subjects in a weekly master timetable, and then started planning.  OTF offers occasional webinars, such as Moving Forward with Online Planboard for teachers looking for extra support with this (and other) digital resources.

I'm looking forward to being able to do almost all of my planning from home now, instead of coming into the school during the weekend!  Saving time ALWAYS makes me happy, and I hope that it does the same for you.

What online education-related resources have YOU found that are saving you valuable time?  I'd love to hear them!




5 comments:

  1. wow..thank you.... can't wait to try it
    (signed, another teacher in southern Ontario!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in knowing printing options, too, for those times when necessary. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in knowing printing options, too, for those times when necessary. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you share this with your admin for an all time thing or is it only days you choose to share? I'd love to share the entire thing with my admin as this is a year for my evaluation. Also looking for printing options!

    ReplyDelete